August 3, 2009 | by  | in Theatre |

Christie in Love

theatre

Christie in Love is the first production by or at One Sharp! Lunch Theatre. Operating out of the Club Room at the Southern Cross, they present a half-hour or so piece of theatre at 1pm every day. The $16/$12 price of admission rather charmingly also includes soup.

While the price is a little steep for only half an hour of theatre, this seems like a really cool idea, and with two more shows already planned it looks set to take off.

Christie in Love
is an odd choice of play to launch it (or should that be lunch it, a ha a ha a hahaha). Written by Howard Brenton, a bad boy political playwright of the 70s and 80s, it tells the story of the hunt for and interrogation of John Christie, the serial killer. A play that starts with a series of escalating grotesque limericks and contains masturbation and the onstage murder of a prostitute, does not seem to be what one would consider regular lunchtime theatre fare. It risks walkouts—there were two the Tuesday I saw it—but with that risk comes great reward.

This production was a refreshing break from the norm, challenging and precise. All three performers give disturbingly lucid portrayals of the tension inside every human being. Nick Blake’s playing of Christie is an impressively complex portrayal of a man who sounds like Alan Bennett but also kills prostitutes. Jed Brophy’s Police Inspector is a fine example of the emotional extremism of people who consider themselves guardians of society but did at moments become somewhat one-note. Paul Harrop’s Police Constable was wonderfully naïve without ever becoming pointlessly childlike.

Adam Macaulay’s direction was tight and dynamic, holding the attention away from the outside noise of the Southern Cross. The uncredited set designer did a very good job with an allotment of newspaper serving many duties from shallow grave to police station.

Apart from the slight clumsiness of the space that is simply endemic in any show performing in the Club Room at the Southern Cross, there is no major complaint to be made about Christie in Love.

Christie in Love
Written by Howard Brenton
Directed by Adam Macaulay
With Nick Blake, Jed Brophy and Paul Harrop
At the Southern Cross, Monday – Friday 20th – 31st July 2009, 1pm

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.