Godspeed You! Top Lecturer

Victoria University Associate Professor Chris Marshall has been honoured with a certificate of Sustained Excellence and a cheque for $20,000 at this year’s Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards.

Marshall, who teaches at Victoria’s School of Art History, Classics and Religious Studies, has been teaching Christian studies for over 20 years.

His specialities also include the study of New Testament theology and ethics, peace theology and practice, and restorative justice in both theory and practice. He is also an expert in the study of contemporary Anabaptist theology.

Associate Professor Marshall attributes his success as a teacher to six guiding principles: presence, conviction, content, respect for students, preparation and delivery.

“Anything I have given to students, I have received back in double measure. I have learned more from them than they have from me,” he said.

Head of Religious Studies at Victoria Paul Morris says Associate Professor Marshall’s award is well deserved.

“Chris brings the world of New Testament scholarship, in all its complexities, to Victoria undergraduates as part of a shared quest for truth and understanding of the Christian scriptures. His blend of teaching and scholarship has inspired many others to become involved in justice and peace work.”

In 2008, Associate Professor Marshall received a Victoria University Teaching and Research award, acknowledging his excellence in teaching and research.

The annual Tertiary Teaching Excellence Awards recognises 10 top tertiary educators from a variety of different schools and disciplines.

This year’s recipient of the prestigious Prime Minster’s Supreme Award, worth $30,000, was University of Otago senior law lecturer Selene Miz, described by one past student as “an irreplaceable gift to the legal profession.”

In congratulating the winners, Tertiary Education Minister Anne Tolley said that the 10 awardees had gone above and beyond the realms of teaching.

“They have made it their mission to give their students the tools to achieve in education and other areas of their lives,” she said.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. There’s a New Editor
1