News in Brief

Lucky douchebags to get summer scholarships

The government has announced a series of new scholarships for students over the summer.

The new initiative will see 1600 research-based jobs offered to students as an alternative to traditional summer employment.

Total funding for the scheme will be $8 million, split 50:50 between the government and universities.

Minister of Tertiary Education Anne Tolley said a detailed breakdown of the scheme will be released soon after universities confirm how many numbers they will be prepared to support.

“The scholarships will give [students] a job and help them further their study,” she said.

History belongs to the victors

Associate Professor of Law at Victoria University Professor Richard Boast has won the history category for his book at the Montana Book Awards.

The book, Buying the Land, Selling the Land is a study of Crown Maori land policy and practice in the period 1865–1929.

Boast describes the book as a reaction to the “Crown-has-been-very-naughty” school of New Zealand history.

Fellow Professor Tony Smith described the book as an extraordinarily valuable contribution to the understanding of the complex and ongoing challenge of Maori land rights in New Zealand.

“It is a shining example of what academics can do—contribute depth and analysis to a debate which has its roots in the past, a lively and contentious present and a bearing on this country’s future,” Smith said.

Professor Boast currently teaches property law, legal history and energy and resources law.

Cheap software from some company dicking ‘round your spamolder

Software company Microsoft has announced a special deal for New Zealand tertiary students.

Dubbed “The Ultimate Steal”, the software giant will allow students to download its Office Ultimate 2007 suite for $80.

The suite includes the 2007 editions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, Groove, Publisher, Access and InfoPath.

Students can download the software from www.TheUltimateSteal.co.nz by providing their tertiary email address. Backup media of Office Ultimate on DVD is available by mail for an additional $25.

This is the first time the Ultimate Steal programme has been available in New Zealand, following similar programmes launched in other countries including the United States and Australia.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.