Students under delusion that living in a hostel actually means something

Residents at a number of Victoria University’s halls of residence have been cautioned following a series of negative attacks in response to an inflammatory letter.

A letter that appeared in Issue 16 of Salient from a person purporting to be a Weir House resident sparked an intense response from residents of other halls.

The letter, which took shots at halls McKenzies, Victoria House, Te Puni Village and Helen Lowry, led to a small number of reprisal pranks in response.

Salient understands that an enlarged version of the letter was on display at Victoria House where students were encouraged to write comments underneath.

Victoria University is also currently investigating a number of negative “chalkings” and posters at Te Puni Village. Eye witness reports also suggest that a number of pranks had been committed at Weir House, St George and Te Puni last Tuesday.

Salient also understands that Weir House residents were cautioned by Head of Hall Simon Roughton against retaliating against other halls.

“Any behaviour such as writing or activities that put down other Hall communities reflects poorly on Weir House and is not condoned,” Roughton said.

Tensions have also been mounting at the Victoria-owned Weir following a publication of a news story in Salient highlighting the hall’s response to a bout of Swine Flu.

Roughton allegedly took umbrage with information being “leaked” to Salient, claiming it did little more than “fuel the fire.”

Residents spoken to by Salient claim Roughton’s response to both the Swine Flu article and the inflammatory letter have been needlessly heavy handed.

“He’s really coming down on this, and it’s ridiculous. It’s the kind of response you’d expect from a school principal,” the unnamed resident said.

“We’re all adults, and it’d be nice if we were treated us like adults,” another resident said.

The residents refused to be named saying they did not wish to “incur his wrath” for speaking out.

Salient received 40 letters in response to the inflammatory letter, none of which were in agreement with it.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June