The Kaiser Briefs

Campus Angels returning to Te Aro, looking for love from heaven above

VUWSA’s Campus Angels service will be returning to the Te Aro campus for a three-week trial starting on Wednesday.

The service provides for designated Angels to walk late-working students home from campus.

The service will be available to Te Aro students on Wednesday 5, 12 and 19 August, and Thursday 6, 13 and 20 August.

Should the trial prove popular, efforts will be made to introduce the service permanently after the mid-trimester break.

P and Pantyhose—book records experiences of women in gangs.

Financial hardship and sexual abuse were features of daily life for the women profiled in Pip Desmond’s first book, Trust: A True Story of Women & Gangs.

A graduate of Victoria University’s Institute of Modern Letters, Desmond completed the first draft as part of her MA in Creative Writing in 2006.

Compiling the stories and own words of 11 women, the book describes the history of the group as they “stood side-by-side against a backdrop of gang violence, police harassment and a society that didn’t want to know,” said Desmond.

Launched recently at the Ministry of Maori Development, the book has been described by Hon Tariana Turia as “an amazing story of universal values”.

Shake Yer Dix/Dixson shows us how to put our Dicks in.

Professor Alan Dixson of Victoria University’s School of Biological Sciences has provided new insights into human reproduction in his recently published Sexual Selection and the Origins of Human Mating Systems.

By comparing the mating behaviour of primates and other mammals, the book draws conclusions about “the origins of human mating systems, the evolution of sexual attractiveness, patterns of mate choice and copulatory behaviour,” said Dixson.

A tribute to Charles Darwin, the book also includes illustrations, many of which are the work of Dixson himself.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. There’s a New Editor
1