September 14, 2009 | by  | in Music |

Clap Clap Riot at Mighty Mighty

music

Clap Clap Riot played Mighty Mighty on 22 August. At the risk of sounding like flying ignorami, Indie/Pop-Rock isn’t my favourite genre of music. I always, however, go into things with an open mind. So when I was given the assignment, I asked myself what the perfect measure of brilliance for these guys would be. I decided to take along my best friend, a beat dancer who will condone Ashley Simpson as rock and listen repetitively to Mariah Carey (circa 1996). My feeling was that if the boys could impress her with their ability, then they’ll be absolutely fine.

Halfway through their set I turned to my friend and she was completely taken by bass player Tristan Colenso. I had only just been able to pause from tapping my own foot and attempting not to sway in such an over-excited manner, when I noticed how much she was enjoying watching the musicality Clap Clap Riot.

“You might have thought that I was bored, but I just couldn’t stop watching the guitar.”

This was her reply when I advised that I wondered whether she was alright during the performance; a basic answer from someone who just as easily could have hated the ‘noise’, as she described the opening two acts.

I guess it should matter more, what I thought of Clap Clap Riot’s performance. So here goes. The amount of thought and diligence in the band’s performance is obvious. They’ve mastered a platform of presentation that they make look easy as. Through that gun bass-line melody underpinning Stephen Heard’s chill and yet killer vocals, the Clap’s talent and organisation is stark.

By the time ‘Thief’ was broken out the crowd was all in the mess, bopping to heavy-hitting drums and singing every word. Even my friend was feeling this beat, one so different to her beloved R & B. Clap Clap Riot are going places. Big, shiny, flashy, faraway places. I look forward to it.