September 14, 2009 | by  | in Film |

HSX: Hollywood Stock Exchange

film

Despite being in existence since the late 90s, I have only just discovered the great term two time-waster that is HSX. HSX stands for Hollywood Stock Exchange, which more or less tells you exactly what the deal is. Sign up and you get given 2 million dollars (not real money!) to try your luck as a Hollywood movie mogul. Invest in movies, stars, studios and funds and gauge your performance as you ascend to Weinstein-like power.

A friend gave me some very good advice. He said “Buy low, sell high,” and so far this seems to be going well. I wrote it on a post-it note and stuck it to my monitor in case I forgot. The trick appears to be picking the movie you think is going to do well on its opening weekend and buying up large. Stocks adjust depending on box office performance and Hollywood insider gossip. If a film grosses particularly well on its opening weekend you can make a quick fortune. Trust me, it’s highly addictive.

Not only is HSX fun, it’s actually an insanely useful guide to all the ins-and-outs of Hollywood. Any announcements that get made, such as Bryan Singer signing on to direct a Battlestar Galactica movie, get brought to your attention as soon as they happen. I recently heard that the site is used to gauge Oscar nominations, and with millions of users picking hits and flops, it must be just as useful for studios to figure out where to put their cash.

So become a Hollywood insider and sign up. Furthermore, join with your friends and you can battle it out for studio supremacy.

www.hsx.com

1. In NZ.
  2. The Party Line ~ Issue 04
  3. Mental Health Wānanga Celebrates Work, Looks to the Future
  4. Sustainability on Salamanca: VUW working on environmental impact
  5. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  6. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  7. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  8. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  9. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  10. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands

In NZ.

: When my mother gave me my name, it was a name she couldn’t pronounce. The harsh accents of the Arabic language eluded the Pākehā tongue. Growing up, I always felt more comfortable introducing myself as she knew me—Mah-dee or Ma-ha-dee—just about anything that made me feel