Lunch for you

food

Lunch for one always sounds so depressing, so I thought I would be a little gracious and re-label this simple spring lunch to sound a bit more upbeat. Salads have got a pretty bad rap among some, and for good reason. Too often salads are a side affair of a couple of pieces of cucumber with some iceberg lettuce, or if they are the main dish, chefs often seem to think little about what they are actually putting in them. Just last night I had a duck salad where the chef had included pieces of fully dried tomato. Not sun-dried-soaked-in-oil, but fully dried tomato. Ugh. So anyway, here is something which is great served with a toasted pita pocket and just enough spring that you can have the windows open while you eat it.

Ingredients:
Handful of finely sliced leek
½ cup of frozen peas
¼ small red onion, sliced
A big handful of fresh basil leaves
25g feta cheese
4 big walnuts, de-shelled and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Soften the leeks and red onion in a little olive oil along with the peas—the peas should defrost in a couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper and then transfer to a bowl. Combine with the walnuts and your feta (all crumbled up). Toss through the basil leaves and serve with some toasted bread. A spritz of lemon juice on top is lovely also.

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June