Racists Go to Hell

Protestors gathered outside Hells Pizza on Quay Street in Auckland last week as a response to the company’s latest advertising campaign.

Described as blatantly racist by anti-racist group Socialist Aotearoa, the new campaign cheekily parades a Pacific Islander about to take a huge bite out of the new Hells Pizza gluten-free brownie, suggesting “At least our brownie won’t eat your pet dog”.

The 20-strong protest demanded for an end to the campaign, as according to protest organiser Tania Lim: “…such advertisements legitimise the negative stereotypes of people of colour, be we brown, yellow, or black.”

Picketers were satisfied when a marketing representative from Hells Pizza apologised profusely for the slogan and admitted it was indeed racist, subsequently handing out free pizza to quieten everyone down.

Despite the protest groups’ well-intentioned attempts to combat the acceptance of racism in advertising such as this, Hells Pizza has since printed a whole set of staff t-shirts sporting the logo and thus will continue its campaign regardless of allegations of racism.

1. “The movement is diverse, the battlegrounds are different”: Talking feminism with Golriz Ghahraman.
  2. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  3. hidden figures
  4. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  5. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  6. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  7. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  8. Issue 15 – Feminism