Shiny new Awards give hope in times of recession and sports losses

The patriotism of our small island nation has once again been bolstered with the introduction of the ‘New Zealander of the Year Awards’ in Wellington last week.

Launched by Rt Hon Jim Bolger, official Patron of the Awards, the initiative aims to recognise the achievements of some, to inspire others and to allow all New Zealanders to feel a sense of pride.

“The New Zealander of the Year Awards is a chance for us to essentially select the very best of us,” said Grant McCabe, Awards National Coordinator.

Entry for the nominations is free and winners will receive a certificate, handcrafted trophy and $5,000 cash.

Although required to be New Zealand citizens and to have resided in the country for more than two years, nominees will be considered based on their achievements or simply for just being them.

Divided into five categories, the Awards are supported by various sponsors including Kiwibank, Mitre 10 and Coca-Cola Amatil NZ.

Nominations are open until November 20; judging and the Award Gala ceremony will take place early next year.

The Awards are based on the Australian model and have been developed by Jeffrey Hopp, an Australian. Hopp, Managing Director of New Zealander of the Year Awards Ltd, has had a long relationship with New Zealand—he first dabbled with the nation while working on the Manapouri hydroelectric project in 1969.

Nomination forms and more information can be found at www.nzawards.org.nz, 0508 692 927 or at any Mitre 10 or Kiwibank branch.

10. International Queer in Review