September 7, 2009 | by  | in Visual Arts |

Toi Poneke Arts Centre Deblyn artist-in-residence programme 2010

visual

The successful artist will be hosted by Toi Pōneke Arts Centre at 61 Able Smith Street in the city, from February to November 2010. The artist will work from a studio on level one of the centre. It is approximately 20 square metres, has lift and stair access, power, gas heating and plenty of natural light. There are common areas where artists congregate and have access to kitchen and bathroom facilities.

The DEBLYN Residency is intended as an opportunity for a graduate artist to kick start their career in a supportive and creative environment. It has evolved in response to Wellington’s art community acknowledging the difficulty many artists experience upon leaving art school and beginning their careers. This programme therefore seeks to bridge the gap between study and professionalism by providing an artist with the space and support to immerse themselves in their creative practice.

Toi Pōneke Arts Centre is a creative facility that was established and is managed by the Wellington City Council. It nurtures early-career arts practitioners, creative businesses and arts organisations in a collaborative and supportive environment.

DEBLYN Property Investments Ltd are generously sponsoring this residency.

Requirements:

1. Applicants are required to have clear creative and project objectives and to articulate what they would gain from this residency and what body of work they intend to focus on producing during the residency.
  2. Present a gift/koha of one artwork created while on the residency to the sponsors at the end of the residency—this work can be part of the exhibition.
  3. Supply a body of work that is produced during the residency (but may include earlier works if wanted) for a full exhibition at Toi Pòneke Gallery.
  4. The artist must agree to present the work to exhibit on time and follow the gallery’s conditions.
  5. The artist is also required to draft a brief report on conclusion of the residency about their experience.

The closing date for applications is 7 September 2009 for the 2010 programme.

How to apply:

Please send us all of the following:

1. Your CV or brief biography outlining your training, projects and exhibitions (if any), together with a cover letter including contact details.
  2. A project and exhibition concept. It can be a couple of paragraphs or up to a page in length. The concept helps to ensure that our Visual Arts Panel gets a clear sense of your work and what you hope to achieve during your residency. Some things to consider when developing your concept:
  3. a. Will your work have an underlying theme?
    b. What will inform this body of work? For example, what are your influences? e.g. artistic, environmental, political or social stimuli.
    c. What will this body of work represent? e.g. culmination of works over time, an extension or new direction.
    d. Are the works you are proposing to create and exhibit cohesive as a body of work?
    e. What will the exhibition at the end of the residency mean for you, and also for the audience?

4. It’s a good idea to show how your practice has developed by including a small number of images of your work.

For more information contact: Toi Pòneke Arts Centre, 61 Abel Smith Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011, (04) 385 1929, artscentre@wcc.govt.nz.

1. The closing date for the DEBLYN Residency has been extended until 28 September. So you still have time to get those applications in! – Toi Poneke