September 9, 2009 | by  | in News Online Only |

University looking at “substantial” levy increase

Victoria University is expected to increase student services levies by a “substantial” amount in 2010 Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh told a fees forum today.

The forum, organised by VUWSA and the University, detailed the university’s challenging financial position, and highlighted that tougher times lay ahead for the capital’s university.

The decision whether or not to increase student fee levies in addition to tuition fees will not be made official until the meeting of the University’s Council on September 21.

Facing a minimum revenue loss of $1.3 million next year, $3.1 million in 2011 and $3.4 million in 2012, it is expected the University’s Financial Committee will recommend to the University Council that levies be increased.

It is also expected that managed enrolments will be introduced next year, becoming university-wide in 2011.

Needing to maintain a 3% revenue surplus, and an expectation that the National Government will not maintain its tertiary funding at the level of CPI, Walsh anticipated that Victoria’s revenue drop will be double of that forecast ($3 million next year, $6 million in 2011 and approx $7 million in 2012).

A partnership between VUWSA and the University regarding the operation of student services is also being considered, but Walsh stressed this was only in its preliminary stages.

More details will be avaliable in next week’s issue of Salient.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Jemima says:

Hey, here is an idea: introduce voluntary student membership so that our wasted vuwsa money ($2 million a year) is actually put to good use.

2. Duh. says:

I’m pretty sure the people who line up for free bread outside the vuwsa offices on wednesdays and fridays don’t think it’s wasted money. or those who would have gone hungry if it wasn’t for the foodbank. or had their class rep address an issue with a lecturer that was affecting their learning. or use their free bus ticket to get from pipitea to kelburn in time for their next tut. hmm. i could go on like this for ages, but thankfully i have better things to do with my time than explain a concept as basic and obvious as ‘investment’.

3. the rock vs stone cold steve austin says:

yeh but the funny thing 99% of those peeps are on student allowances, or they’re subsisting on living costs, and have whopping huge student loans as a consequence, which will only get bigger by increasing their service levies – but hey you’re part of the solution right

see i don’t buy this argument that cos vuwsa does some good that it gets a free pass for everything else

“hey you spent $20k on a website that isn’t up yet”
    “well excuse me but have you seen our bread line?”

4. Boris Pissoffski h h says:

I’m not sure how much strength that argument holds. It doesn’t mean you can’t spend any money, it just means you have to prioritise what money you do get to spend. If the breadline is important, then move funding it to the top of the list.

5. Phoenix says:

We could have VSM if you wanted. Don’t get me wrong, I think VSM could force VUWSA to actually be accountable, which would be a nice change. But it’s not up to the government to make that decision; it’s down to us students – if we want VSM that badly we can have it, but no one’s initiated it so far. To be frank, the VUWSA levy is pretty much nothing compared to our total fees, and even if you don’t use the services yourself, it’s nice to know they are there if you needed them. Like insurance.

6. Phoenix says:

I was also like to point out that I hold these opinions even when the only VUWSA service I’ve ever really accessed is Salient

7. Stephen Whittington says:

Join it under VSM then.

And I’m unsure when it made sense to make upholding individual rights up to the majority.