Where’s the Brief?

VUWSA Pres approached to fill vacant NZUSA spot

Still VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle has confirmed that she’s been approached to nominate herself for the vacant NZUSA co-president spot for 2010.

The position remained unfilled after voting at last month’s NZUSA conference failed to throw up a candidate with enough votes to take the spot.

Former AUSA President David Do will occupy one of the co-presidential spots.

Freemantle, who is not seeking re-election at this year’s VUWSA elections, told Salient that she was carefully considering her options for 2010.

Formidable legal mind to do a gig in Wellington

Victoria University will play host to one of the most notable legal minds in recent times when distinguished civil justice expert Dame Hazel Genn delivers a public lecture this week.

Genn, the 2009 NZ Law Foundation Distinguished Visiting Fellow, will deliver her infamous Justice and the role of Assisted Dispute Resolution lecture. The lecture made front page news in England back in July.

Dean of Victoria’s Law School Professor Tony Smith said the school was delighted to have Dame Hazel speaking.

“It takes a bit of doing for an academic to provoke such a strong reaction from the world of legal practice. This subject certainly hit a nerve when she first addressed it,” he said.

Teh Grammerz on teh wireless

Ever wonder why people can’t pronounce John Key’s name properly, or why Michael Laws is so gung-ho about keeping the H the F out of Wanganui? Victoria’s School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies may be able to assist through the wonderful world of radio.

The school has been invited to contribute regularly to Radio New Zealand’s Sunday Morning programme by offering insights on relevant language issues.

Head of School, Associate Professor Paul Warren said the school was asked to contribute expert knowledge in an accessible and engaging way.

“The format of the language slot will see us responding to a language issue in the news, or introducing discussion of a topic that has caught our attention. Either way, it is a great opportunity for us to raise the profile of language issues and the profile of the university,” he said.

The first language slot in the revamped show kicks off at around 9.45am on Sunday 20 September.

God save the Queen, because these guys won’t

In a move surely to enrage members of Alf’s Imperial Army, members of The Republican Movement are returning to Victoria’s Kelburn campus this week as part of a new campaign.

The movement’s chairman Lewis Holden and the mysteriously named ‘Savage’ will be knocking about recruiting new members and taking questions from republicans and monarchists alike.

The meeting also coincides with the launch of the movement’s new book The New Zealand Republic Handbook.

“We’ll be taking questions and meeting Republic supporters. If Monarchy supporters have any good arguments against a republic they should come to the bar and let us know. We’d be interested to hear their arguments. So far, we ve found Monarchy supporters aren’t very good at arguing their case,” Holden said.

Don’t Mine Our Future

Protestors dressed in biosuits and hard hats began prospecting Parliament lawns with ‘metal detectors’ on Wednesday.

The stunt was part of the Green Party petition launch that calls for the protection of New Zealand’s most precious conservation lands from the mining of coal.

The National-led Government is talking about taking land out of schedule 4 of the Crown Minerals Act, which is where national parks are listed, in order to open them up for mining.

Greens MP Metiria Turei says that we must not let the Government get their hands on our national treasures and this petition is one way that New Zealanders can have their say in the matter.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1