October 12, 2009 | by  | in Film |

(500) Days of Summer

film

I was really excited about seeing 500 Days of Summer. You see, I’m in love with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, most recognisible as the cute kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun and 10 Things I Hate About You, but brilliant in Mysterious Skin and Brick. Unfortunately, 500 Days didn’t match up to the other challenging films he’s been in, much as the marketing department would have you believe otherwise.

That doesn’t mean it wasn’t enjoyable. I love things that look good. This film had some nice bits in it, the recurring hand-drawn images were sweet, but it seemed to draw on features of ‘alternative’ films to make itself cooler. It just reminded me how a culture that I considered mine is now being absorbed by the mainstream. It reminded me of people that wear band t-shirts without ever having heard the music. No substance. And the film was told in a jumpy kind of way that tried to tell the story from the beginning and end at the same time but just left you a bit confused.

The storyline also let me down. Despite only having one principle theme—love—and no sub-plots to speak of, at the end of it you felt nothing had really been said. At all. The characters are likable enough but not really very deep. Joseph Gordon-Levitt manages to be less charming in this obviously charming role than he is in something like Mysterious Skin, playing a gay teenage hooker. Zooey Deschanel is your typical cute indie girl, but at times she just feels like a shell. Seriously, I felt like there was nothing inside her at all.

Oh, the film did do a great job of reproducing stereotypical gender roles. Thanks. “There are two kinds of people in the world,” says the deep-voiced narrator. “Women and men.” Marriage is still the goal, and all that girls want is to find “the one”… And finding true love? Want to make some real challenges to mainstream conceptions of romance?

But the thing is, none of these angry criticisms make any sense if you just consider this your average mainstream romantic comedy. Because that’s what this movie is. I just feel duped that it was so easy to veneer it in alternative culture and use that as a marketing tool. And I feel ashamed that I was suckered in.

(500) Days of Summer
Written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber
Directed by Marc Webb
With Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt

1. Al Gangbang says:

It reminded me of people that wear band t-shirts without ever having heard the music.

2. Al Gangbang says:

… people do this?

3. Christopher says:

I wouldn’t feel duped Isobel.

What makes alternative culture alternative is that although its skin can be copy and pasted, it can never really be touched.You can laugh at the industries attempts to sell it, cause it can’t be commodified. Just be happy that the varnish of alt culture made this potentially awful film kinda fun. I mean, sure it was a typical mainstream film pretending not to be, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t cool to see Gordon Joseph Levitt drunkenly singing Here Comes Your Man.

A couple of Smiths and Belle and Sebastian references are going to spoil alternative culture forever.

4. High School Noir says:

I see your list of Joseph Gordon-Levitt films didn’t include BRICK. It’s his greatest work. Go check it out. He talks to a bad-ass drug dealer about Tolkein.

5. Tommy Solomon says:

Yo. She mentioned Brick in the second sentence!

“You see, I’m in love with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, most recognisible as the cute kid from 3rd Rock From the Sun and 10 Things I Hate About You, but brilliant in Mysterious Skin and Brick.”

6. High School Noir says:

I guess it was all that junk I just shot up that obscured the end of the sentence, huh.

7. smackdown says:

or ur inability to make good posts lol

8. smackdown says:

nobody will remember this film in a month’s time who cares