Ground Control to Major Not Even

Muse are set to hit Big Day Out again after the initial 2010 line up was released last Tuesday morning.

Rumours had surfaced across internet forums months before citing Muse, Kasabian, Groove Armada, Placebo, and David Bowie as hot favourites for the summer festival, held next January in Auckland.

While David Bowie will not be in attendance (thanks Stuff.co.nz, you suck), Lily Allen, who has recently announced her retirement from the music industry, will grace Auckland with her presence. Allen previously played at Big Day Out 2007.

Muse, who also played Big Day Out 2007 alongside the likes of The Killers and Tool, will headline next January’s music festival, no doubt playing some of the highlights of their new studio album ‘The Resistance’.

Alongside Lily Allen and Muse, Australian rockers Powderfinger are set to play. Salient is also happy to report Kasabian, Groove Armada and the Mars Volta will also rock Mt Smart Stadium along with those metal bands who receive the lunchtime slot on the Orange Stage. The Boiler Room will host Dizzee Rascal, who appeared at Big Day Out 2008.

It’s a bit of a reunion of sorts this year, innit? Well, there’s some new blood thrown into the mix.

The Decemberists, a five-piece indie-folk band hailing from Oregon released their new album The Hazards of Love earlier this year. After listening to the album for several months, Salient hopes for big things from this band.

Other highlights include British indie rockers The Horrors, but spotlight is on Melbourne band The Temper Trap, who are newcomers to the Big Day Out family. Their single ‘Sweet Disposition’ can be heard on the official soundtrack for the recently released film 500 Days of Summer.

Unlike last year’s festival there has been little moaning and groaning about the initial lineup. While the choice of Neil Young for Big Day Out 2009 left many young’uns scratching their head, older generations joined the fun. Salient recalls an unusually large balding male population enjoying this year’s festivities.

The full list containing the bands released in the initial lineup is available at the official Big Day Out website. As usual, two more line up announcements will be made before the show kicks off Friday 15 January at Mt Smarts Stadium, Auckland. Tickets go on sale Wednesday 7 October.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties