October 5, 2009 | by  | in Opinion |

Is it really that hard to get laid, or do we need to just lower our standards?

For those of you who have been in a cave for the last little while it might benefit you to know that we are in the 21st century. The people of this generation are known as ‘millennial’s’ and ‘Generation Y’. The 21st century has healded unprecedented growth of technology and media. Technology is at a climax—metaphorically speaking—and Generation Y’s plans to take over the world are becoming more defined.

But what was left behind? Romanticised ideas of courtship and making eyes from across the room (with the exception of Andy Sandberg and the lonely island boys). The rules and expectations of dating and sex have changed with the times. No more waiting until the third date before kissing, no refraining from sex until those 3 little words “I love you”—shudder—are uttered, it’s put out for a good time, not a long time. You’d be lucky to hear those words if ever.

So if the rules and expectations have changed then is it easier to play the field right? There’s less pressure—a person doesn’t have to weigh the extreme pros and cons before considering sleeping with them: no commitment. Surely there are at least a hundred others out there with the same viewpoint. So then what is stopping us from going out there and actually getting on with it? We get too caught up in the ‘idea’ of a fling or a random fuck that when it comes down to it we pussy out. It becomes too hard to initiate or instigate… foreplay becomes our enemy, a demon, therefore nothing happens unless of course we imbibe an excess amount of alcohol. Then, even with our inhibitions are loosened, it’s not guaranteed for a number of reasons. You have either drunk so much you’re at the point of throwing up—the time when you should be on your ‘A game’. Or you get there and do the deed but the next morning we wake up without being able to remember how you got there, why (“Oh god, why?”), or most importantly whether you were sexually satisfied. And the vicious cycle continues.

It might be that we’ve come to the realisation it is pointless trying to get any man/woman to commit at this juncture of our lives. (God forbid they’re after more than sex on a regular basis) Or perhaps true to our millennial form we can’t commit to anything for more than five minutes.

So my advice to you is if you’re after something, or someone, lay your cards out on the table from the beginning. Get on with it sooner rather than later because the longer you drag it out the less likely it will happen.

Despite the fact that we’ve diluted ourselves into believing we have standards and the opposite sex need to meet a certain criteria before we sleep with them (obviously that’s not true if when we drink it doesn’t come even close to thought) we actually will do just about anyone that will give us the time of day.

So the next time somebody tries to talk weather with you, try imagining them naked, or better yet imagine yourself with a few drinks in your system considering them. After all alcohol makes anybody look reasonably attractive.

This article is dedicated to “the moon’’ and the letter he sent into
Salient earlier in the year.

1. Richard says:

Hey, really nice article, cheers.

2. smackdown says:

lmao “getlaid.co.nz” are you a garbage man

1