October 12, 2009 | by  | in Arts |

King of arts says bye bye

Queen of arts in Germany or something

Hey, Uther here.

I know I’ve been doing a lot of this direct address stuff over the past couple of weeks so you’ll have to forgive me.

Actually, no. I don’t need your forgiveness. I am co-editor of this here arts section and if I want to talk to you all personal-like I will.

Oh, BTW, other arts editor Fi says “Hi, Bye,” from overseas. The magic of the internet, eh?

Anyways.

So, 24 issues of arts content, eh. Most of it was pretty good. At least, I thought it was. Judges at the ASPAs not so much. Y’know, being third best at something hurts, but third equal best… I mean Jesus. Why don’t they just spit directly in my review muscle—it’s like a nose but for art—and then set fire to all those I love?

No. No, I do not have trouble letting things go. Why do you ask?

HE COULD HAVE AT LEAST PRONOUNCED MY NAME RIGHT.

Thanks for coming on this little arts voyage through the choppy waters of 2009.

We had fun.

Also, crying.

Don’t worry though. We’re not abandoning ship. Most, if not all of the arts sections, will keep updating the website (www.salient.org.nz) with reviews, previews and dribbling. That is until future Salient-czar Rarah demands an end to it.

Let me take the mood down a bit and do the big wall-of-text thanks to all the contributors to the section that this little ball of words has been so inextricably been leaning towards so… Ahem. A big thanks goes from me and Fi to (in chronological order) Stephanie Cairns, Marika Pratley, Jackson James Wood, BK Drinkwater, Kerry Tankard, Kim Wheatley, Costas Thrasyvoulou, Jolene Williams, James D, Ryback, shinigami, Ashleigh Barrowman, James Beavis, Maggie S, Michael Langdon, Tristan Egarr, The Gentleman Gamer, Dominique Lecci, Ian Harris, HansMormon, Vera Mey, Mava Moayyed, Natasha Carroll, Nic Sando, Mike Kingston, Ian Anderson, Katherine Robbie, Emma Rose Luxton, Dr. Jack Dick Riddle, Caleb Gordon, Michael Gray, Jason Aldous, Laura McQuillan, Gabrielle Levy, Hannah Smith, Charlotte Bradley, Jeffery Fink, Kemic, Elle Hunt, Christopher Gilbert, Adam Goodall, Ella Edginton, Jamie Carter, Challen Wilson, Ioana Gordon-Smith, Hayden Weal, Robin Murphy, Steve D, Tim A. Rufus, Michael Hemmingsen, Hannah Simon, Eliorah Malifa, Ryan Egars, Charlotte Bradley, Guy Armstrong, M.J. Oliver, Peter Manglethwaite, Renee Gerlich, David Reeves, fps_bob, Monique Davey, Rory Harnden, Melissa Reeves, William O’Neil, James McNamara, Dave The Beer Guy, Sarah Robson, Guy Montgomery, Mriceguy, Blair Everson, Louise Burston, Kieran Burns, Barnaby Nicholls, Perez R’Lize, Dusty, Robyn E. Kenealy, Nicole Harvey, Isobel Cairns and the one or two people I have undoubtedly missed on my epic trawl through back issues to spell everyone’s names right.

Also, mad props have to go out to the Wellington Arts Community and the warm snug womb of the Salient office and all the people in it for making this year such a pleasure for us.

Kia ora Art, Kia ora.

—Uther Dean, co-Arts Editor Salient 2009, third equal best reviewer in the student media of Aotearoa blogs at utherlives.wordpress.com.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Fi says:

I object you naming yourself King. It suggests that I am Queen and that you have more power than me. You can be co-King.