News in Brief

2010 online enrolments open. Come give yer Uncle Pat a hug.

Online enrolments for classes at Victoria University next year have opened.

New and returning students alike can enjoy the fanfare that is picking classes and agonising over lecture clashes.

Enrolments in limited entry/preferential entry classes close on 10 December, with applications for first trimester classes closing on 10 February.

Applications made after 10 February will incur a $120 late fee.

Never mind essays—have yourself a whale of a time choosing how to bore yourselves senseless next year over at www.victoria.ac.nz/enrol

Tolley’s not coming to Vic, Weir House resident to have cool roommate instead.

A special Student Representative Council meeting that was to feature Minister of Tertiary Education Anne Tolley has been cancelled after the minister pulled out.

VUWSA had organised the meeting for this Tuesday, and it was to include an address from the Minister and an opportunity for the audience to ask the Minister questions.

No reason has been given for the sudden cancellation, but Salient suspects it has everything to do with soon-to-be Editor Sarah Robson’s endless quest for an interview.

“Tolley,” Robson cried. “Why you gotta break my heart?”

Uni games head south in ’10. Scum of the eerrrth students to head to scum of the eerrrrth city.

The 2010 University Games will be held in Invercargill for the first time ever, University Sport New Zealand has announced.

The decision to award the rights to the furtherest possible location from anywhere bar the Chatham Islands was made after what’s been described as a rigorous selection process.

University Sport New Zealand said that after analysing three bids, Southland was declared the best option “financially, strategically and in the delivery of a quality sports event.”

Concerns have been raised about the relative distance many universities will be asked to travel to reach the games, but University Sport insists the issue will be dealt appropriately.

“The Southland Consortium has been working closely with local organisations to alleviate some of these concerns and have put in place some fantastic strategies to ensure their geographical location is not a barrier to participation for the 2010 Games,” a statement said.

“The Southland Consortium” would also, incidentally, be the worst metal band of all time.

Ju bug news (you’ll be seeing more of her)

Victoria University fourth year design student Juliette Wanty has won a national craft and design award for a table crafted out of HMR, a high density MDF.

Ju was one of two Runner Up Merit Award Winners in the 2009 New Zealand Student Craft/Design Awards for her entry ‘Table/Cloth’, which featured an inventive version of a classically designed hall table.  

The table was made using a three axis cnc router controlled by a computer file Wanty herself programmed.

“I designed the table with a sculptured surface, so that it looked as though a discarded table cloth was fused as part of the table,” Ju said.

Juliette won $500, and along with the Supreme Award Winner and her fellow runner-up, will have her entry displayed at Lower Hutt’s New Dowse Gallery from 21 October, which is no short order.

Salient News Editor unable to discern difference between “Free” and “Fair.” Will quit job after next week.

Due to what can only be described as a doofus moment, last week’s News in Brief article incorrectly said VUWSA had passed a motion supporting free trade, when it was actually fair trade.

A total of five embarrassing “free/fair” mistakes were recorded.

Salient News Editor Michael Oliver would like to have blamed the mistakes on chronic alcoholism, but given the fact he can’t drink, he has no recourse but to blame glorious incompetence.

That’s free…err… fair.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1