October 8, 2009 | by  | in News Online Only |

Salient plants tree

With little fanfare or pomp Salient editor Jackson James Wood and News Editor Michael Oliver today planted a Kowhai tree on Victoria’s Kelburn Campus.

The idea to plant a tree as a way of, in-part, eschewing Salient‘s massive carbon footprint and enhancing the already beautiful grounds of Victoria University, was Advertising and Sponsorship Manager Jon McQueen’s.

Wood was enthusiastic about entrenching some Salient vegetation into the campus that nurtured him.

“Hopefully Vic will nurture this tree like it nurtures so many great minds,” Wood said as he let out his famous belly laugh.

The native Kowhai—approximately 2.5 Salients worth of wood pulp—sits in pride of place, 20 metres up Hunter Drive (right by the maroon and white cars on gate one in this link) and is expected to bloom over the summer, attracting Tui and other nectar-drinking native birds for hungry first years to catch.

JJWandMJO

“I love that I did my part for nature by turning up and putting a tree in a hole,” said Oliver. “l’ll never have to recycle again.”

A plaque will be put under the tree sometime over the summer break.

The editor of this fine rag for 2009.

1. Jemima says:

Grow a beard day in the Salient office, ha!

2. :D says:

Type here…

3. The above web address rings accurate.

So very, very accurate.

4. :D says:

Oops. I totally typed in the wrong box.

5. Nic Sando says:

Wait, Salient uses native trees to print the magazine?

6. Jackson Wood says:

Errrr… Not so much. But the dolphin content is quite high.

7. Gibbon says:

soylient “green” is people

8. Brunswick says:

Future Salient staff can use the bark instead of buying Zig Zags.

9. Alan Young says:

that sweater is amazing

10. Jemima says:

No. You are, Alan Young. You are.

11. Electrum Stardust says:

PEACH BLOSSOM AND LEAF BY NIGGLE OF WOOTTON MAJOR:

” Afterwards he went no more to that strand, believing that he was in an island realm beleaguered by the Sea, and he turned his mind towards the mountains, desiring to come to the heart of the kingdom. Once in these wanderings he was overtaken by a grey mist and strayed long at a loss, until the mist rolled away and that he found that he was in a wide plain. Far off there was a great hill of shadow, and out of that shadow, which was its root, he saw the King’s Tree springing up, tower upon tower, into the sky, and its light was like the sun at noon; and it bore at once leaves and flowers and fruits uncounted, and not one was the same as any other that grew on the Tree.

” He never saw that Tree again, though he often sought for it.”

x x x

” He seemed to remember having seen or dreamed of that sweep of grass somewhere or other. The curves of the land were familiar somehow. Yes: the ground was becoming level, as it should, and now, of course, it was beginning to rise again. A great green shadow came between him and the sun. Niggle looked up, and fell off his bicycle.

” Before him stood the Tree, his Tree, finished. If you could say that of a Tree that was alive, its leaves opening, its branches growing and bending in the wind that Niggle had so often felt or guessed, and had so often failed to catch. He gazed at the Tree, and slowly he lifted his arms and opened them wide.

” ‘It’s a gift!’ he said. He was referring to his art, and also to the result; but he was using the word quite literally.”

12. smackdown says:

time wss time was those rabid birds cry

13. a scientist says:

To elucidate the Th cell activation mechanism through the TCR/CD3 complex, we examined the reactivity of T cell clones to soluble monovalent and divalent anti-CD3 without accessory cells or costimulatory factor. All T cell clones tested produced IL-2 in response to monovalent anti-CD3, although reactivity to divalent anti-CD3 was variable depending upon clones. IL-2 production of T cell clones induced by monovalent anti-CD3 was suppressed by cross-linking of the antibody with anti-hamster IgG. IL-2 mRNA expression and the increment of intracellular Ca2+ concentration were consistent with the IL-2 production. When T cell clones were stimulated with monovalent anti-CD3, they increased in size, although divalent anti-CD3 stimulation did not affect their size irrespective of their IL-2 production. These results indicate that monovalent anti-CD3 is more efficient than divalent anti-CD3 in induction of IL-2 production and that the cross-linkage of the TCR/CD3 complex is not necessarily required for the T cell clone activation.
    PMID: 1532813 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

14. Electrum Stardust says:

絲路竹林,琴劍金經

15. Electrum Stardust says:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3820912/They-ve-destroyed-150-years-of-our-heritage

“…The story was not published until 1947 (Dublin Review). It has not been changed since it reached manuscript form, very swiftly, one day when I awoke with it already in mind. One of its sources was a great-limbed poplar tree that I could see even lying in bed. It was suddenly lopped and mutilated by its owner, I do not know why. It is cut down now, a less barbarous punishment for any crimes it may have been accused of, such as being large and alive. I do not think it had any friends, or any mourners, except myself and a pair of owls.”

1