October 5, 2009 | by  | in Opinion |

Thanks for caring more than 10-20 percent

exec

I’d like to start by thanking all those people who turned up to the Greenstravaganza SRC meeting a couple of weeks ago. We kicked the 50 person quorum’s ass, and there was near unanimous support for the climate action and Fair Trade motions.

So, what’s happening post-Greenstravaganza? Well, there are moves a-foot towards making VUWSA a Fair Trade workplace. Furthermore, there is now added ammo for Just Action’s campaign to get Victoria to become a Fair Trade University. This is in line with the Wellington City Council’s recent vote in support of making Wellington a Fair Trade City. For more info check out www.fairtrade.org.nz.

Next is climate change—the burning hot issue that is currently occupying many a nook and cranny of global consciousness. As we (young peeps) will be affected most by it, it is fantastic that VUWSA now has the support of the students to make a strong statement on this massive issue.

Keen for more climate change activism? There are many organisations that can help; including signon.org.nz and campus clubs like Gecko. But wait, there’s more! If you haven’t already seen the 10-20% Pure NZ posters around campus, keep an eye out. (They refer to our Government’s current emissions reduction targets, which the Greenstravaganza said is a crap effort). The posters advertise a fun-filled student march from the University (starting in Kelburn Park) down to Parliament at 12pm on Friday, 16 October. Dress up in kiwiana or dress down in body paint and join in. Climate change is surely our generation’s Springbok tour—only far more important, and far more fun. This march will be our pre-emptive strike before the 350 global day of action on 24 October (see 350.org.nz).

Finally, in Copenhagen this December there is a meeting where world leaders will be determining the fate of the world. A New Zealand Youth Delegation is attending to represent your views on appropriate climate action. I was lucky enough to be chosen to be a part of it—but of course being there to represent you, we need your voice! So watch out for an event at Uni soon where you can give us your message to take to the heart of evil UN conference.

Oh, and I have a Gardening Club now where you can learn all you need to know about growing free yummy stuff at your flat. Be my friend please in Meeting Room 2, Tuesdays, 3pm.

Zach Dorner,
VUWSA Environmental Officer