That Hardy boy wins

Nancy Drew to solve mystery of haunted Student Union Building and the ghost of Joel Cosgrove

Former VUWSA Vice-President (Administration) Max Hardy has comfortably won election to the office of VUWSA President for 2010.

Hardy beat opponent Alan Young by 807 votes to 205. Guy Williams, who was unable to remove his name from the ballot after withdrawing his candidacy, netted 372 votes.

Fewer than 1,500 students participated in this year’s election, approximately 6% of the student population, and down on last year’s equally low 10% turn out.

Despite the low numbers, Hardy expressed happiness with the result and an eagerness to move VUWSA forward in 2010.

“I’m very happy with the result. I’m looking forward to building an association that students can be proud to be members of,” he said.

“The inital analysis suggests that the secret to my success was staring into their yellow eyes without blinking once.

“I congratulate everyone who was elected, I have huge confidence that we can achieve good things together in 2010.”

Victoria University Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh congratulated Hardy on his election and expressed an eagerness to work with him on a number of key issues.

“We hope that he will continue to work in partnership with the university and build on the good relationships which have been fostered this year.

“There are some important roles for the incoming student president, including working with the university on the new student services levy, communicating to students and representing students on the University Council,” Professor Walsh said.

Still-VUWSA President Jasmine Freemantle said that while the results were predictable, and the low voter turnout was disappointing, she wished the 2010 Exec and Almost-VUWSA President Hardy the best of luck.

“VUWSA management undertook significant promotion encouraging students to vote in the election, including a reminder email sent to all students, a poster campaign, and coverage in Salient and on The VBC 88.3FM.

“A number of factors may have contributed to the low voter turnout, including the small number of students that were nominated, and the absence of firm plat-forms and a strong presidential race which have featured in past elections,” she said.

Failed Presidential hopeful, and perennial candidate extraordinaire Alan Young was successful in his bid to join the halls of VUWSA, winning election to the position of Activities Officer.

Commenting on the Salient website, Young said he was excited with the prospect of being a member of the ’10 Exec.

“The people have voted and obviously Max is the man for the job, so I shall pull full support behind him and hope him well,” Young wrote.

Other elections of note include Sam Oldham to the position of Vice-President (Education), Seamus Brady to Vice-President (Education) and Publications Committee, Caitlin Dunham to the position of Women’s Rights Officer, and Conrad Reyners to the position of University Council Representative.

VUWSA Elections results 2010

President Max Hardy
Vice-President (Education) Sam Oldham
Vice-President (Welfare) Seamus Brady
Vice-President (Administration) No Nominations Received
Women’s Rights Officer Caitlin Dunham
International Students Officer Alice Pan
Queer Officer No Nominations Received
Environmental Officer Zachary Dorner
Campaigns Officer Bridie Hood
Activities Officer Alan Young
Clubs Officer Fraser Pearce
Education Officer James Sleep
Welfare Officer Craig Carey
University Council Representative Conrad Reyners
Publications Committee Rep Seamus Brady

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.

1. Jimmy says:

“Fewer than 1,500 students participated in this year’s election, approximately 6% of the student population, and down on last year’s equally low 10% turn out.”

How is it possible for 6% to be both ‘down on’ and ‘equally low’ as 10%?

2. Jemima says:

They’re both equally unrepresentative of the student body as a whole.

3. Jimmy says:

That doesn’t make any sense. 6% is lower than 10%. Therefore less representative. And if last year’s 10% were numerically equal to this year’s 6%, then it wouldn’t be ‘down’. Someone fix this.

4. Gibbon says:

six percent of students last year could equal ten percent today

you know the bums on seats policy its out of control

5. Guy Armstrong says:

You’re a good guy, Guy. (Williams.) Just had to say it to someone else after hearing it all my life.

Kia ora comment box, kia ora.

6. smackdown says:

hey jimmy

hey jimmy hey

why is my matress damp?

1