December 27, 2009 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

An Adagio Christmas

theatre

I’m going to make this easy for you. You should see An Adagio Christmas. Actually, since this review is late, sorry, you should have seen it. Unless, that is you saw it the first time around. Back when it was just called Adagio. Because it is the same show, with a little tinsel added. Of course, there is nothing wrong with that.

It was and is a fun show. A delicious dynamic dessert. It was well worth the festive revisit. While the same mild niggles that sat inside it remain. The most noticeable minor problem being its indecision as to how much of a plot to have. The nature of the work is inherently episodic and it swings somewhat widely between letting each wonderful moment hang on its own and tying them together in some sort of nebulous narrative. It just makes it feel somewhat incomplete at points. But that is just small bother when compared to the sheer fun of rest of the work. It’s hard not to love An Adagio Christmas. Though it does need to briefly be mentioned that there isn’t really that much Christmas in the show, the moments that are being clearly tacked into or onto the show, but that doesn’t really matter at the end of the day.

The cast and crew are clearly a supremely talented bunch and really no greater complement can be paid than the fact, well, just look at the cast list underneath this and you have no excuse to not see anything these folks do. Stalk them. I demand it. Their work is worth it.

This is a wonderful cap to an accomplished and wonderfully local year at Downstage. Hooray!

An Adagio Christmas
With Mason West, Rowan Heydon-White, Angela Green, Jenny McArthur, Rosie Langabeer, Asalemo Tofete and Jeff Henderson

At Downstage, 4 – 20 December 2009

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1