February 22, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

President’s Column

President's column

New students, Welcome to Victoria! Returning students, Welcome back. Third trimester students, I hope you had a fantastic weekend. If I have not introduced myself already, my name is Max and I am the humble President of your students’ association for 2010. It is our job to help you get the best out of your time at University in 2010.

There are three messages I have for you in my first Salient column – VUWSA has changed; you should get involved in Orientation and student representation is important.

The VUWSA you may be familiar with or have heard questionable stories about has changed. We have a new intake of talented staff, a fresh and committed Executive and a new outlook with a solid focus on our core principals. While we have always delivered a broad range of services for students at Victoria in a very financially efficient manner, this year we are committed to doing so professionally and consistently. Scandals of the past which have overshadowed the enormous contribution that VUWSA makes to the student community are no more.

It is safe to say that Orientation 2010 is one of the best in years. From March 1 our own mini music-festival will show you the best of what Wellington has to offer and is the perfect distraction from your studies. Featuring some of the most exciting and talented artists from across the land and the world. Deerhoof, the Chills, Ladyhawke (DJ Set), the Mint Chicks, Die! Die! Die!, Ladi 6 and many more all for under $20 or free. You should also participate in the many other activities we have on. Check our website for the details. You can get a lot more from your time at University than grades, so make sure you are involved in the activities around. VUWSA will be running Clubs Week all week in the quad and joining a club is one of the best ways to get involved.

Victoria is a fantastic University and it is run by committed staff who seek to provide you an outstanding education. However, believe it or not, they do not always take your perspective into account. Sometimes they have conflicting priorities and sometimes they just don’t realise that there is a student perspective to be heard or don’t know who to talk to. And a very few times they are pretty evil. That is why student representation is important.

VUWSA co-ordinates and supports over 800 student representatives across the University. Your representatives ensure that your education is a priority, that students are the number one stakeholder in any important decision and that don’t get hoodwinked by the University. They represent you on bodies ranging from the University Council, Faculty Boards, the Joint Student Union Board, to the Hardship Committee and the Bar Committee.

This year we are adding some new representatives. A new committee will now oversee the setting of the Student Services Levy (funds Student Health, Finance, Counselling services etc.) and another one the provision of food and drink on campus. Sound like something that is important to you? There will be opportunities for you to have your say.

2010 will also see work beginning on the Campus Hub Project. VUWSA is helping fund a massive upgrade of the Kelburn campus and so if you have any ideas, concerns or questions you should let us know and we work with you in making Kelburn a campus that you want to be around.

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos