February 22, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

Staying Safe in the City—NZ Police

Welcome back! I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a merry and safe New Year. To those returning after a well-earned rest, it’s great to have you back in the capital. To all the new students, you’ve come to a great city, so enjoy!

I’m Constable Baz Murfin of the Wellington Community Engagement team. Together with other Police officers I will help you stay safe in the city and prevent you becoming a victim of crime.

Those who were here last year will remember Constable Rachel Shore. She has left the university Liaison officer post, moving onto new pastures. Rachel’s replacement will be appointed shortly but until then officers from the Community Engagement group will fill in.

Wellington CBD Liquor Ban

Some of you may not be familiar with our central business district liquor ban, so to keep you out of strife, here’s what it all means. Basically, you are not permitted to drink alcohol in the streets/parks/public areas within the CBD.

Liquor Ban Area
Source

As you can see from the map, the affected area covers a large part of the CBD.

You can be arrested if found in Breach of the ban—don’t get caught out!

For more detailed map info have a look at the Wellington City Council website.

Stay Safe in the City

Wellington is an exciting place to go out and enjoy yourself with your friends, but we want to make sure you all get home again. This brings me to my next bit of advice, staying safe in the city. This is the big message from the ACC, Wellington City Council and the Police—you’ll see the posters and advertising with the ‘Friends’ message. We’ve been pushing the safety message for the last couple of years, and it’s all about staying together when you’re out, having a great time and everyone getting home safely.

Previous years have shown us that students have been victims of crime while drunk and on their way home, but looking out for your mates when you’re out will minimise the risk of something happening to ruin your night.

Don’t rely on the old homing pigeon instinct to get you home. If you’re feeling a bit worse for wear the pigeon will have fallen off its perch long ago. Keep some taxi money aside and have a plan in case you get separated from your friends.

Keep Your Gear Safe

Students have a wide variety of pricy electrical gizmos to get them through university life. It’s not rocket science—you know it, we know it and unfortunately so do the thieves and burglars.

Don’t advertise what you’ve got. A lack of security could see your laptop disappear into the unknown (along with next week’s finished assignment and all of your typed study notes!).

A few simple things will ensure your gear stays where it should:
• Keep valuables out of view at your place and in your car.
• Lock your doors and windows (most thefts occur when the owner is in the next room).
• If you have a burglar alarm use it—they are a great deterrent.
• Make a list of your valuables, complete with serial numbers. Police can easily match recovered property back to its owner this way.
• Mark or engrave your property. Invisible markers are available at most bookshops.

We are here to help you if something happens, but prevention is far better. Help yourself and your mates. Enjoy Orientation Week and stay safe!

Baz

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough