February 22, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

That’s So Gay—An Introduction

That's so gay

Oh hi guys, I’mma tell you about an awesome support group/club/thing that we have here at Victoria: it’s called UniQ. Now I say this with a lot of bias, but UniQ is friggin’ sweet.

UniQ is for queer students—that is to say those who identify somewhere along the GLBT-WXYZ spectrum and their supporters. I really want to emphasise that this group is for everybody; if you ever feel kinda different from the norm perhaps you should check it out.

Some awesome things we have done in the past include movie nights, karaoke party (my personal fave), the Annual Traffic Light Party—which is always heaps of fun—the Queer Ball, and obsessive viewing of Natalie Portman rapping.

We also look out for the rights of queer students at the university, making it a safer place for them. But to be honest, coming to meetings is pretty much about scoping out and meeting all the babes.

We’re having our IGM on Wednesday 10 March at 5pm in Meeting Room 1 in the Student Union Building. This is where we can all vote for what crazy radical fools we want to be on the UniQ Executive Committee and discuss cool things that could happen this year.

I would love to see you all there; I will want to shake your hand, so get practising on that firm grip, I will be judging you, not a harsh judgement mind you, just that easily changed first impression that we all do.

The next night (Thursday 11 March), hopefully in Meeting Room 1 around 6pm, there will be another UniQ meeting in association with Agender for transgender people and other similar alternative genders. We will make sure to keep you informed about any changes any venue and time.

Any further questions about what UniQ does or about the upcoming meetings can be directed to uniq@vuwsa.org.nz.

Hope to see you all there!

Got something to say about queer issues? Do you like writing? Do you want to contribute to That’s So Gay, UniQ’s biweekly column in Salient? Email uniq@vuwsa.org.nz for more details about how to get involved!

1. There’s a New Editor
1