February 22, 2010 | by  | in Music |

The Chills, with Secret Knives and Joe Blossom

Flying Nun post-punk legends The Chills are dropping smack-bang into the middle of Orientation, and they’ll be joined by two of the freshest young talents Wellington has to offer, Secret Knives and Joe Blossom.

Notorious, legendary, seminal. Call them what you will, they’re The Chills. Nearly 30 years after their formation, the iconic kiwi band remains a pioneer of New Zealand music. Pivotal in the emergence of the world-famous ‘Dunedin sound’ in the 1980s, the band’s smooth but precarious music has established them as international cult icons. Although best known for their singles ‘Heavenly Pop Hit’, ‘Pink Frost’, ‘Kaleidoscope World’, and ‘I Love My Leather Jacket’, The Chills are remembered for their lingering presence long after music has ended. Now in 2010 The Chills will paint the San Francisco Bathhouse with New Zealand music history, reaching deep into their discography, unleashing some new classics in the making, and no doubt tearing the odd shit up along the way.

Performing in harmony will be energetic youngsters Secret Knives. These boys have been kicking around the block for a couple of years now, having solidified themselves as the most exciting potential in Wellington with the release of their debut 2008 EP The Wolves, in conjunction with a great live set. With an air of Over the Atlantic and a nod to The Album Leaf, Secret Knives are “smooth and sombre” with “chiming guitars, electronic textures and angsty, but not overwrought, vocals”. Fresh from Campus A Low Hum and opening for the San Franciscan duo The Dodos in January, Secret Knives will be set to pounce at Orientation 2010.

Joe Blossom is making a name for himself as the one to watch for 2010. Earnest but playful at the keys, Blossom’s infectiously catchy melodies are charmingly reminiscent of indie pop-stars Clap Your Hands Say Yeah or The Decemberists. Live with his band The National Average, Blossom puts on a tight, delightful and at times theatrical set.

The Chills, Secret Knives, and Joe Blossom: the experience of age comes hand-in-hand with youthful restlessness this Orientation.

Tickets available from www.dazzletickets.co.nz (0508 DAZZLE), Real Groovy and undertheradar.co.nz.

For one easy booking fee of $3.50 (for both students and regular folk) you can load up all your Orientation events on one card. Cards are available online, at the VUWSA office on campus and the Dazzle ticket booth in the quad during Orientation Week.

VUWSA and VBC 88.3FM proudly presents:
The Chills
with Secret Knives and Joe Blossom
2nd March
San Francisco Bathhouse
$20 Student / $30 Public

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough