Accounting held accountable

News

Salient saves the day

Following questions raised by Salient, Victoria is now keeping a closer watch on courses to ensure students receive value for money.

Last week, Salient questioned the university over Accounting 111 (ACCY111), a core paper for the Bachelor of Commerce and Administration. This paper required students to purchase a code, either with a new text book or separately, to access online tests on a publisher’s website. Without a code, students could not complete the course requirements.

As a direct result of Salient’s investigation, the paper requirements for ACCY111 have been changed.

Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean of the Faculty of Commerce and Administration Professor Bob Buckle says the online revision questions and online tests are still set for students enrolled in ACCY111 in trimester one 2010.

“However, completion of the online work is not required to meet assessment or other course requirements this trimester.”

The university has decided to offer a refund to compensate for the inappropriate use of the online tests as part of paper requirements.

“All heads of schools throughout the university have been called personally to discuss the policy on fee setting to ensure students are not overcharged for any other courses at the university.”

When questioned how the situation arose in the first place, Buckle says it was a direct result of the review of paper points values.

“The issue with ACCY111 happened as a result of reorganising and streamlining the delivery of the course under the new 15-point paper regime.”

The university has emailed students from last year’s ACCY111 and ACCY 223 (trimester three offering) courses to apologise and to invite those students who feel they were disadvantaged to apply for compensation.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.

10. International Queer in Review