March 8, 2010 | by  | in Theatre |

Angel: a preview

Theatre

An angel is stuck on Earth. They have fallen from heaven for some reason. Now they’re here they want to find a way back in to that big cloud of fun in the sky. This takes them on a voyage across the world and across all humanity and all of its beliefs.

This angel is also a clown.

Because, well, Angel is a clowning show. Not the old school scary clowns who are going to eat you while you slumber. These are the modern clowns. Still exaggerated, you may even still glimspe a red nose or two, still there to get a chuckle out of you at the end of the day, but not all red wigs and scary eyes.

Angel is a one-person show performed by long-time clown Olli Ricken. Ricken plays the titular angel and takes the audience along with her as she searches through humanity, letting the audience watch her slow fade from her natural state of bliss and harmony into more human emotions of anger and frustration.

Lucette Hindin, of the widely acclaimed Christchurch-based theatre company theclinic, directed Angel. “It’s about having a bit of a laugh at how we find divinity,” said Hindin. “I also really wanted to show the world that clowning is contemporary. It’s a very visual show but still has a story.”

Hindin also talked about how the form of clowning allowed the theatre makers to examine and explore heavier issues that you’d usually see successfully gazed over by most theatre without being rather heavily anvilicious.

Angel is musically accompanied by Arielle Atman. In an innovative move, Atman’s score changes each night reacting with and against Ricken’s clowning. Every different show on every different night will be different. For the performances where Arielle is unable to perform, a recording of one her performances in Angel’s highly successful Christchurch season will be played.

Angel is part of the 2010 Fringe Festival and plays at BATS theatre at 6.30pm on the 6th and from the 9th to the 13th, with a 4pm preview on the 6th. Tickets $16/$13 with $12/$10 for the preview. Book by calling (04) 802 4175 or by emailing book@bats.co.nz.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. There’s a New Editor
1