Course Minus Code = Fail

News
Accounting Anomaly Addressed

Victoria University has been forced to address course requirement policy and apologise after Salient questioned why accounting students had to pay over and above course costs to complete their course.

Accounting 111, a core paper for the Bachelor of Commerce and Administration, requires students to purchase a code, either with a new text book or separately, to access online tests on a publisher’s website. Without a code, students cannot complete the course requirements.

After being approached by Salient, Acting Pro Vice-Chancellor Commerce and Administration Professor John Brocklesby investigated the issue, and as a result the university is taking steps to rectify it.

“The university is pleased that Salient has brought this matter to our attention.”

Brocklesby says that while student reaction to the website is positive, including the tests as a course requirement was not appropriate.

“Students should not be required to pay extra for compulsory components of their courses and we would like to apologise to students for this oversight.

“In the future, the option of buying a separate access code will remain for some courses, but, in those cases, the online tests will not be part of any assessments.

“Alternatively, codes will be provided to students free of charge if completion of the online tests are a general course requirement or form part of the assessment for a course.”

The university is not aware of this happening in any other courses, but is checking with all schools to ensure this is the case.

A student who took the course over summer says that it is disappointing the situation has arisen, but is pleased Victoria is taking the matter seriously.

“The lecturers and tutors didn’t have to administer or mark our tests, if they wanted us to do tests online, it should have been included in our fees.

“It’s a bit disappointing that Vic wasn’t aware of the problem before Salient brought it up, but it is good to see that they are making changes now they are aware.”

VUWSA President Max Hardy says VUWSA has not received any complaints from students.

“We are pleased that Victoria is working to address the problem.

“We will follow the issue closely to make sure a satisfactory resolution is reached.”

The university is also considering the best way to address the issue of currently enrolled students who may have been financially disadvantaged from having to purchase the access code.

Salient will provide an update when a decision has been reached.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.