Eye on Exec

Eye on exec

In this week’s meeting I talked. I have been gradually less able to bite my tongue, and this week I finally broke.

But I am not going to tell you why. In this column I will be putting aside a few issues as Salient will be covering these at a later date. So let’s focus on other things that happened at the meeting…

This week: new flu shots, new appointments, new places to buy food and new affiliates.

So, swine flu and other nasties. They are quite serious things. VUWSA are supporting Student Health to provide free flu shots on campus. At this week’s meeting the exec approved further funding to extend the free flu shots into a specialised Hall campaign. Last year there were some serious implications of flu being passed around the Halls. Over 20 per cent of the student body were affected by the flu, with over 60 per cent of these cases from the Halls. It’s something VUWSA and the university are taking seriously, you should too.

The VUWSA family is almost complete with the appointments of Melissa Barnard as the Clubs and Events Manager and Wendy Turk as the Sales and Advertising Manager. Salient will be bringing you a cheesy ‘oh hai new people’ article about them soon.

As you know, the quad is currently undergoing a massive rebuild. When completed, the new Campus Hub will include new bars and cafés. Businesses will take part in a tender process to win the contracts. Apparently this might include an off-campus bar taking over and running the on-campus bar… It will be interesting to see what happens with this process. Salient will keep you informed.

Part of the construction will see the three current food kiosks moved into the courtyard between Hunter and Old Kirk. Exec members were asked to consider if they thought VUWSA should bid for one of the contracts to run the kiosk. President Max Hardy said it might provide the opportunity for VUWSA to ensure students have a cheap source of munchies. The exec are going to get more info before making a decision on this.

Good to see that VUWSA are thinking about what students want!

Vic law students are going to be starting up a community law programme after the exec affiliated the new Wellington Community Justice Programme. The WCJP is a group of students who plan to provide community legal advice and projects. They will be launching soon, so keep your eyes peeled if you need some help!

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.

1. s says:

Can anyone attend Exec meetings? I would like to come along.

1