Publicly pashing pair punished with prison

A man and woman were jailed in Dubai for engaging in a kiss that would be considered chaste on Courtney Place.

The British resident of Dubai and his British female friend face up to a month imprisonment after an Emirati mother complained that her child had witnessed their public indecency.

Ayman Najafi and his female companion were also fined 1000 dirhams (NZ$387) for illegal consumption of alcohol and are to be deported after their sentencing.

This is one in a series of offences to Dubai laws in recent times, as the foreign population continues to rapidly increase.

It is the difference between Dubai’s highly conservative religion and the Western world’s acceptance of such matters that troubles students. “It’s slightly worrying because it seems as though you could be jailed for the smallest thing, i.e. a peck on the cheek,” states Victoria student Casey Brockwood. “I wouldn’t have known that it wasn’t acceptable if I was over there.”

The ‘Decency Law’ in Dubai, introduced in 2001, aimed at “protecting public values and decency and providing a peaceful atmosphere for residents and tourists in accordance with the UAE Federal Constitution,” stated a senior Dubai police officer in the press release. “Offenders who fail to respond positively will be penalised.”

Another such case of indecency involved a British couple earlier this year who were convicted of having sex out of wedlock in Dubai. The charges were dropped after the pair produced a marriage certificate.

Other weird offences from ‘The World’s Strangest Laws’ website:
• In Iowa, it is illegal to kiss for more than five minutes
• In Kansas, shooting rabbits from a motorboat is prohibited
• In England, it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British Monarch upside down
• In England again, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself wherever she wants, even (if she requests) in a policeman’s helmet. Dates back to the 1900s.
• In Texas, the complete Encyclopedia Britannica is banned because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer