Seamus Brady, Vice President- Welfare

exec-column-web

Last week VUWSA’s annual influenza vaccination campaign kicked off at Te Aro and Karori. This week between Tuesday and Thursday you can get your free shot in the Memorial Theatre Foyer between 11.30am and 1.30pm. If you’re at Pipitea, just pop into the Student Health clinic and make an appointment.

Student Health description of last year’s flu season on campus sounded nothing short of a episode of Band of Brothers.

One student died, half a dozen were hospitalised, students in Halls were forced into isolation, the University warned against attending classes or exams if you displayed any symptoms and began to ready to their pandemic plan.

This is why VUWSA continues to increase funding to the annual free flu shot clinics to ensure as many students can protect themselves. VUWSA pays for the vaccines, books the venues, and coordinates the publicity, while the great people at Student Health administer the vaccines.

This service is just another example of the important role that student associations have always played in the delivery and existence of non-academic services and support on campuses around New Zealand.

In the 1950s they lobbied for, and won better investment in on-campus health services for students, and a stronger focus on pastoral care of students. In the 1960s students won representation on the highest University bodies so that our voice could be heard. In the 1990s VUWSA representatives on University Council foresaw the negative aspects of the new student loan scheme and fought for the establishment of the Student Hardship Fund, which is still here for students when things don’t go quite to plan.

Today students at Victoria have access to a plethora of high quality services run by a bunch of dedicated professionals, back up by strong representation, which VUWSA works closely with to ensure you get the most.

VUWSA continues this in the form of the newly convened Student Services and Amenities Levy Advisory Committee (SSALAC).

For students, we now have equal representation through VUWSA in this new partnership with the University. This guarantees a greater level of student involvement and engagement in the strategic and financial oversight of specified student services at Victoria University (e.g. Student Health, Finance, Counselling, Careers, and Disability Support), and in the recommendation to the Vice Chancellor of the annual Student Services Levy that we all pay annually.

Free Flu Shots, Kelburn – Memorial Theatre, 23 – 25 March, 11.30am-1.30pm and Pipitea – Contact Student Health.

For more information about the Hardship Fund visit the student services website.

Seamus Brady
wvp@vuwsa.org.nz