March 15, 2010 | by  | in Theatre |

Skungpoomery— a preview

Theatre

Phoebe Smith, the director of upcoming show Skungpoomery, can only describe Ken Campbell as “a nutbar”.

“He died last year, but he used to tour shows around the UK with mad stuff like people stuffing ferrets down their pants.”

Campbell wrote Skungpoomery (which means the process of creating and defining new words, don’t cha know?), and a fine and crazed sense of the silly and the absurd runs right through it. It tells the story of the Amazing Faz and their friend Twoo who grow tired of life, sinking deep into lethargy before finding a new lease of life with skungpoomery.

Smith found the script in the bottom of a cupboard and it immediately appealed to her. “I read it and suddenly my life was so much better.” After a rather drinky night after last year’s Young and Hungry (which many Skungpoomians were involved with), a plan was hatched to put it on.

“It has millions of props. We had to go last because we make quite a mess. There is jelly on women’s heads.” It is always enthralling to see a director as enrapt with the madness of their own work as Smith clearly is.

“This show,” she says, “is for everyone. And I mean properly for everyone. You know when they say ‘one size fits all’ and it’s such a bollocking lie? This is not like that. Everyone’ll like this.”

Skungpoomery opens at BATS theatre (1 Kent Terrace) on Thursday 18 at 9pm and then runs until Saturday 27 with no shows on Monday or Sunday and a 3pm matinee on the 27th. Tickets are $18 or $13 depending on a variety of factors. You can book by emailing book@bats.co.nz or calling (04) 802 4175. Skungpoomery is an Imaginary Bees production of a script by Ken Campbell, directed by Phoebe Smith, produced by Debbie Fish and designed by Ulli Briese and Penny Angrink. The cast includes Ash James, Debbie Fish, John Ong, Adam Donald, Tom Horder, Bronwyn Pattison, Melissa Phillips, Gina Vanessi and Bronwyn Haines. It will be a time.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Peter M. says:

More like Uther Bean.

1. There’s a New Editor
1