March 8, 2010 | by  | in Features |

Steven Joyce (via spokesperson)

Steven Joyce is the National Minister for Tertiary Education.

Statement reads:

The government is waiting for the select committee report-back before firming up its position and deciding whether or not to support the Freedom of Association Bill. The minister would be in a better position to talk about the bill once we have had the opportunity to consider the select committee’s findings.

Support for the bill is not part of National’s confidence and supply agreement with ACT, although we were happy to support it to select committee. Labour has opposed the bill so far—you’d need to check in with them about whether or not they will continue to oppose it and their reasons for that position.

With regard to the government’s general approach to tertiary education, I suggest you check out the prime minister’s statement to the opening of parliament last week. In the speech he outlines they key challenges in the tertiary area that the government will seek to address. More policy detail will be announced in due course, but this should give you a feel for where the government is coming from.

The speech is available here.

I hope that helps.

See here for the main feature on VSM, or click here to go back to the bonus features.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy