Student Health Service Te Ratonga Hauora Tauira

Providing quality healthcare for you while you are a student at Victoria University of Wellington

The Student Health Service (SHS) is staffed by fully qualified experienced doctors and nurses. Our central clinic is located on the Kelburn campus with a satellite clinic operating five days per week at Pipitea campus. The SHS offers all the services you would expect from a regular medical centre, including:

Preventative Care—such as blood pressure checks and cholesterol testing, cervical screening, mole checks, health education, advice regarding contraception and sexual and reproductive health, travel health (including the administration of the most commonly required vaccinations), immigration, and diving medicals. The HPV vaccine, to help prevent cervical cancer, is available (www.cervicalcancervaccine.govt.nz). The vaccine is free for all women born from 1990.

The seasonal influenza vaccine is now available from 1st March.  The vaccine will provide protection from three strains of influenza, including the H1N1/09 (swine flu) strain. We strongly recommend you consider getting immunised.

Illness and Injury Care—assessment, diagnosis, offering treatment, advice, and when necessary, referral to medical specialists for injuries, infections and acute illness. We also have a dedicated Student Health Plus nurse (Long Term Conditions) who does see students for ongoing health conditions, for example, diabetes, asthma, depression, and anxiety.

Other Services—smoking cessation appointments, emergency contraceptive pill, hearing tests, liquid nitrogen, minor surgery, nutritional advice, and pregnancy tests.

Specialist appointments —dermatologist (skin specialist), endocrinologist, dietician, and a psychiatrist are available at our main clinic on the Kelburn Campus via referral from our doctors. 

We are a Very Low Cost Access practice and you have the option of enrolling with Capital PHO through Student Health, which will substantially reduce the cost of your healthcare.

Some useful tips about our service, because there are some 25,000 students at Victoria and not that many doctors and nurses:

• Book ahead for routine appointments.
  • Once you find a nurse and doctor you are comfortable with ask to have your appointments with them.  This will promote continuity of care.
  • Contact us as early as possible if you need to be seen that day.
  • Seek help if you need support or want to discuss something you are worried about. We will work with you to help you feel better.
  • Contact us to reschedule or cancel an appointment to save a $10 non attendance charge. 

Visit our website for details on locations, opening hours, services offered, and much more.

Please contact us regarding any comments you have regarding our service. We welcome your recommendations and appreciate any feedback you are able to provide. We want to be the best Student Health Clinic possible.

1