The Lyons share

The Lyons Share

Today I’m going to talk about breakfast. Wait, wait, wait! Don’t turn the page yet! I know you’ve already heard it a million times before that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I also know from personal experience that some (read: most) mornings you either don’t have the time, can’t be bothered, or aren’t hungry enough for anything elaborate. Or anything at all. But it is true that breakfast sets you up for the rest of the day, so if you want to have a decent day, you need a decent breakfast. If you’re after quick breakfasts with little or no prep time, you’re reading the right page.

The first thing you need is a drink. No, not that kind of drink. Your body gets dehydrated overnight, which slows your metabolism, so a glass of water will wake your system up. It has even been suggested that drinking a glass of water before breakfast can help with weight loss.

It is also a good idea to have a glass of orange juice. I’m not talking the tropical flavour sugar-riddled stuff, I’m talking the “honest squeezed” stuff. Even if it’s all you can manage in the morning, a glass of orange juice will help raise your blood sugar level, and give you a boost of vitamins. If you don’t like oranges, then any fruit juice will do: apple, tomato, kiwifruit, feijoa, whatever takes your fancy. Just remember to brush your teeth afterwards, as the citric acid found in many such juices is not kind on your teeth.

Now for food. Drinks such as Up & Go are an easy option, but can be expensive if you’re having one every day. You could grab a piece of fruit on the run, a muffin baked the night before, or a muesli bar. Making your own muesli bars is easy—there are heaps of recipe ideas on the internet. Toast is also easy to eat fast (choose brown bread), and you can let it cook it while you’re getting ready.

If you have a little more time in your mornings you could keep pancake or waffle batter in the fridge for quick use. Smoothies are fantastic and there are so many recipe options (do a quick internet search for tons of ideas). In the winter when such fruits are out of season, you can buy frozen berries to use in smoothies. Add yoghurt and an egg (you can’t taste it and it’s worth the protein) with milk and flavouring.

Porridge is another really healthy option. You can buy packet mixes which take only two minutes to cook in the microwave. Eggs can be cooked dozens of ways—try a different way of cooking eggs to keep variety in your breakfasts.

And if all else fails, raid the fridge for leftovers. Seriously, you’re better off eating soggy noodles than nothing at all.

Food tip of the week:

Apples wake you up better than caffeine. Now I’m not so foolhardy to think I can get you to quit your morning coffees, but why not have an apple as well as your coffee? You’ll have the twice the defence against lecture-induced drowsiness, and will be starting the day on a healthy note.