March 8, 2010 | by  | in Theatre |

Theatre? Picks! Theatpicks!

Theatre

With the clash of the titans that is the tidal waves of the Fringe and the International Festival colliding in the fresh open seas of Wellington’s theatre for the next few weeks, we are spoiled for choice as to what exactly we should wet our theatric taste pins with. So much choice! So little time! So many posters! To help with your theatre place picky wickying I have complied this list of my recommendations of which particular theatre troughs you should be getting all eye dunk into.

Apollo 13: Mission Control (Downstage) 27 Feb to 9 March 2010. An interaction theatre extravaganza in which the audience help guide the beleaguered lunar mission home. If anything is a MUST SEE, it is this, New Zealand theatre at its most innovative and alive.

Mary Stuart (Circa) 27 Feb to 21 March 2010. Circa busts out its outré chops, taking a big step away from its safer fare to give the festival, in this exploration of the conflict between Elizabeth the First and her sister Mary, another local show to get very excited about.

Ruby Tuesday (BATS) 3 to 13 March 2010. A big winner at the Auckland Fringe. Seems to be a charming hour of quirky comedy.

Angel
(BATS) 5 to 13 March 2010. An angel who is also a clown has fallen from heaven and slowly searches for a way back up. Looks like a delightful feast of fun and pretty pictures for the whole family.

The Letter Writer
(Circa) 7 to 21 March 2010. This collaboration between French and local theatre makers promises to be a sweet and edgy look at love and life.

Mark Twain & Me in Maoriland (Te Papa the touring) 9 to 21 March 2010. The ever-reliable Taki Rua Productions’ latest work looks like a wonderful AV-laden blast through the 1800s of Aotearoa.

11 and 12 (St. James Theatre) 11 to 14 March 2010. Peter Brook is one of the defining voices and theorists of the whole of modern theatre. He directed this. Enough said.

The Arrival
(The Opera House) 11 to 14 March 2010. A beautiful graphic novel adapted for the stage by a bunch of Aucklanders. The artist of the original likes it, which is enough for me.

360 (Te Whaea) 12 to 21 March 2010. You sit on a swivel chair. The play takes place all around you. You turn to follow the action. Sold.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.