Vice President – Welfare

Executive column

This is of course Orientation Week. For the next two weeks VUWSA and the VBC 88.3FM will be laying on one of the best Orientation line ups in many years. We’ve garnered some of the best music, comedy, art and entertainment for you to view, experience and take part in. Make the most of it – it’s a great way to show you the best VUWSA, the University and Wellington has to offer.

If amongst the Orientation festivities you spend your entire course related costs, your first living costs installment or lose your dignity in the Big Kumara/Establishment/Maya/K-Club toilets at 2am on Saturday, VUWSA can help you out. There are a number of services you can access when things don’t quite go to plan.

One of the most valuable services you can access for free is our professional and independent Student Advocate. If you think you have been treated unfairly by the University, your landlord or your employer get in touch with us.

Our Advocate can help you with academic issues regarding issues with your lecturers, grades, course work, assessment, plagiarism and misconduct; tenancy issues – including Halls of Residences, landlords and flatmates; employment issues; financial issues – including dealing with StudyLink and WINZ; or any other general issues you may bring forward.

The University sometimes forgets that students are the number one stakeholders and can act in ways that are detrimental to our time at University. All cases are treated with confidentiality and using the Advocate’s services will not jeopardise you relationship with your faculty or lecturers or negatively affect your position in any way. You have rights as a student at Victoria and VUWSA will always be there to assist you.

There is also free bread on Wednesday and Friday mornings, and a daily food bank that gives out food parcels and further advice if your cupboards or bank balance are running low. If you are studying on two campuses and have classes on the same day at each you can pick up a free bus tickets for the duration of your study.

You never know what you will come into contact with on the bus, the lecture theatre or your Hall of Residence so make sure you get a free flu shot from one of our clinics that will be setting up in early April and protect yourself.

Students’ associations are ultimately about delivering services. At VUWSA, we’re focused on independent and professional advocacy, representation and services that make life on campus easier or more enjoyable for students. For a more comprehensive list of our services and what VUWSA can do for you check out our website – www.vuwsa.org.nz.

Seamus Brady
wvp@vuwsa.org.nz

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough