VUWSA gets a new student advocate

News

Lorraine Guthrie has recently been appointed the new VUWSA student advocate.

What does a VUWSA Student Advocate do?
We see the position as coach, mentor, counselor, friend, go between and facilitator. I expect the role to develop and grow depending on need. Influence what we do and how we help by coming to see me with your issue, complex or straightforward.

How will you help?
You can visit me here at the VUWSA office, with a dilemma or a problem you need assistance to resolve. I can either talk it through with you before you take action or we can work through the issue together.

Why are you a good person for the job…
Parenting three teenagers, teaching in South Auckland and running a residential school for NZ’s challenging youth means I’m reasonably comfortable dealing with any matter, not easily stressed or offended and am creative in finding solutions.

What experience do you have?
Along with a background in teaching, I am an experienced counselor and facilitator and in recent years specialized in crisis prevention training. Last year I worked with Massey University in the hostels, as a Student Life Advisor as well as running education programmes on creating a universally accessible environment for people with disabilities. I am committed to creating an equitable New Zealand, where circumstance does not affect opportunity. All previous roles I have held have been working with and for people to assist them through difficult times and to maximize opportunities.

Where can we find you?
I’m available most days here at the Kelburn campus but will be available at the other campuses at various times (timetable yet to be established).

How can we contact you?
I am best contacted by email at advocate@vuwsa.org.nz or by phone 04 463 6984.