April 26, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

Anzac Day

In 2010 VUWSA will be laying a wreath on ANZAC Day and I wanted to let you know a little bit about why.

In 1917, Rawdon Beere, a Victoria student who was serving in Europe, wrote to Spike (the student magazine at the time):

I have just received a pair of socks from the Association – socks that will warm my feet delightfully, but can never warm them as my heat would be warmed by a sight of the College tennis court and its surroundings.

Most of us will not know what it feels like to wish to return to Victoria as much as Rawdon did. Thousands of students had their studies interrupted or stopped forever as they were enlisted and sent to the horrors of war. At least 435 students, sent to serve in both world wars, would not return. This is something worth remembering.

The First World War gave VUWSA our first woman President, Edith Davies, when President Frederick T Clere was enlisted. Edith organised knitting bees and prepared parcels of socks and other comforts for those serving abroad. It is a small example of the service that Victoria University students have given.

Wars have had a deep impact on the student body at Victoria, and many of our members have served for New Zealand, and some have died doing it, and we will remember that on ANZAC day.

VUWSA Initial General Meeting

The VUWSA IGM is 1pm Wednesday in the Union Hall. There are a number of amazing reasons to be there.

One: We will be presenting the 2009 Annual Report and audited Statement of Accounts, which makes absolutely riveting reading.

Two: You will be treated to an update on the Campus Hub (which we are all funding) and food and drink on campus.

Three: A motion will be put forward reversing VUWSA’s blanket objection to cops on campus. The VUWSA Executive wants permission to invite the police onto campus when it can benefit the safety of our community here, but we will continue our objection to any active patrolling.

Four: A constitutional amendment has been proposed to make sustainability a goal of the Association. If you feel students and the University should be leading the wider community, then you should come and vote.

Five: Three members at the IGM will win prizes! One $700 snowboard and two $100 grocery vouchers are being given away.

So come along and see what we have been up to, ask questions if you feel inclined, and win something maybe.

1. ? says:

no police on campus!

1. Basin Reserve Vigil: Wellington Stands with Mosque Attack Victims
  2. Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds
  3. Issue 04 ~ Peace
  4. Law School Apparently Not Good at Following Rules
  5. Wellington Central Library closed indefinitely
  6. School Climate Strike Draws Thousands
  7. VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation
  8. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  9. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  10. I Lift My Eyes
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos