April 19, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

Max Hardy struggles with newfound fame

The Week That Wasn't

Students actually know who VUWSA President is

In the week that wasn’t VUWSA President Max Hardy admitted that his celebrity status has become difficult to live with.

Since taking office for 2010, Hardy has received unprecedented attention from Victoria University students, quickly elevating the student politician to superstardom on campus.

When Hardy ran for President in September last year, he says he had no idea the position would make him so famous.

“People are usually like ‘VUWSA, lol wut’?”

Last week alone Hardy received 15 letters at the VUWSA office, was asked for his autograph ten times and was stopped in the street at least twice every day.

In March two students were forcibly removed from the VUWSA office when they refused to leave until Hardy agreed to have dinner with them.

Although flattering, Hardy says that this attention has begun to impede on his ability to perform as president.

“The other week I was trying to write my column for Salient but I had really bad RSI from the autograph session I’d held in the VUWSA foyer that afternoon. In the end I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t write the column.”

But despite Hardy’s concerns, Salient Editor Sarah Robson believes that the fame has already gone to the VUWSA President’s head.

“Last week I overheard him comparing himself to Chris off Shortland St. As if. He’s more like the ambulance driver, or that creepy anaesthetist.”

Hardy says he plans to address the issue by introducing a fan club to VUWSA’s list of clubs on campus.

“This is obviously a pressing student issue, and one which VUWSA will need to accommodate for.”

Until then, students wishing to talk to others about Hardy are advised to join the Facebook group ‘Hard-on for Hardy’.

1