Student’s Infatuation with Lady Gaga results in Bad Romance

A Victoria University student replaced her poker face with a shame face this week when she was forced to give up her dream of becoming New Zealand’s answer to Lady Gaga.

Rachel Potts, a second-year design student, was hospitalised earlier this week with severe burns to her face and hands following her attempted recreation of Gaga’s ‘Telephone’ music video.

“Burning cigarette sunglasses just weren’t that easy to pull off,” a dejected Potts said from Wellington Hospital on Wednesday.

This incident was the final straw for Potts, who had faced a year of “ho-bags and haters” in her attempts to win fame and success as a Gaga look-alike.

Another blow to Potts’ pride was failing to attend Gaga’s concert in Auckland earlier this year, when a wound from a sharp edge on her home-made Coca Cola can hair-curlers became infected.

Potts had become well known both on campus and around town since her obsession began in March last year.

Last month her Facebook page ‘Gaga About Gaga’ had 692 fans.

Potts also had 456 followers on Twitter, where she instructed fans to “follow her until she loved them”.

When she first applied a tinfoil lightning bolt to her face, Potts had no idea that her life would soon be entirely consumed with recreating the star’s look.

The student told Salient that she believes she has spent over $5000 towards achieving her goal.

Although extremely disappointed, Potts looks forward to leading a normal life again.

Many of her costumes often proved difficult to manage in Wellington’s weather.

“You try walking straight in 80km winds when you have large crystal-shaped pieces of foam and polystyrene attached to your dress,” said Potts of her remake of Gaga’s origami dress.

Potts will also be able to visit the Big Kumara again, where she had previously been banned after regularly disrupting the bar’s Tuesday Poker Nights.

Many of Potts’ Lady Gaga outfits are soon to be auctioned on TradeMe, with all proceeds going to the Burn Support Group Charitable Trust.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos