April 19, 2010 | by  | in Opinion |

You don’t need all that crap

Yo momma probably infuriated you more than once by refusing to throw away something because it was still vaguely useable. Well yo momma should have instilled it into you a bit more. Minimalising your life means you’re happy with less, which generally means more money, and who can complain about trying to be happier and richer?

The simple fact is that even students, in our infinite wisdom and lack of money, buy about twice as much than we need to.

Manage your money effectively—try to only purchase things you need. So, if you normally buy vegetables but all they do is rot in your fridge, don’t buy them. There’s no point in buying a tonne of food for your ‘balanced’ diet when you don’t eat any of it! (Maybe work on how to actually eat veges, though. Start with one meal a week and get excited about it.) If you have a wardrobe full of clothes, make them look interesting instead of buying more. If you have a water bottle, fill it up and take it to class instead of shelling out for a drink at the dairy.

Take a long, hard look at everything you throw out, from plastic packaging to old socks. Think up things you could use it for instead, or ways to ensure you can replace it with re-useables next time. For instance, our household avoids buying products with excess packaging and it’s massively improved our lives. It means we go to the local market for fruit and veggies (with heaps of reuseable bags, don’t just use their plastic bags), the Newtown Halal butcher for meat (can usually avoid getting meat trays there), and Mr Moshims (Newtown) for bulk bins of flour/legumes/everything.

Keep congratulating yourself on all of the ways you minimalise your life already. Getting beer balls and watching the sunset on the bucket tree is much more memorable than sitting in front of the TV with them and playing Xbox. Pat yourself on the back for deciding against going shopping for stuff you don’t need, or cooking instead of takeout.

Best of all, you can go around spouting bitchy phrases like “there’s only one earth” with rolled eyes. It’s way, way fun.