Bridie Hood, Education Vice President

¡Hola chicos!

I know when I enrolled at Vic Uni I knew exactly what papers I wanted to do. I had everything planned out. Then I decided that I actually wanted to learn Spanish and I didn’t like law and then everything changed. Like many other students I have chopped and changed between what subjects I want to study.

For students that don’t know what subjects to enroll in they only have the Vic Uni course catalogue for information on courses. You may be lucky enough to know someone who has previously taken the course, but in general you are pretty hard pressed to find alternative course information.

That’s where VUWSA steps in! In previous years VUWSA has published a magazine called the Alternative Student Guide. Its aim is to give students a real overview of what classes are like. It lets you know how previous students have rated course content, how effective lecturers are and information on course resources, among other things. While the guide isn’t gospel it’s another resource to help students make informed choices about their education.

This year we are planning to go a bit further with the Alternative Student Guide. Previously the guide has only reviewed 100 level classes, but this year we are widening the scope to include 200 and 300 level papers as well.

So in the next few weeks your class representative or a VUWSA executive member should be coming around to your classes to get you to fill out these surveys. They take less than two minutes, so please fill it out! Also be truthful about what your class is really like, we want to give a fair overview. If it really is boring, let us know. If the course content is a bit lame, your lecturer talks too fast or the course requires a lot of hours of work outside of class write it down!

You can look out for the guide towards the end of July!

On a side note, did you hear that a Justin Bieber concert had to be cancelled by Australian police for ‘safety reasons’? Those 10 year old girls can get pretty feisty!

I hope all of your classes are going well and as always if you’re having any education issues, get in contact with me at evp@vuwsa.org.nz

‘Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid’