May 24, 2010 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Class Comedians – Wellington

There is nothing like the fresh mist of youth, the raw juice pulp of the young and new. Class Comedians puts a bunch of high-schoolers through a crash course in funny, taught by some of the leading lights of the Aotearoa giggle biz. They all work towards a public showing, and if said showing is anything to go by, this system works.

Sure, some of them were more nerves than flesh, several drying on stage totally, but they never let that get on top of them. What has really clearly been instilled in all of them is a good sense of poise and control—the sheer attitute and grit that it takes to stare down an audience with little more than a mic and your brain is present in all these little laughter ducklings.

Bea Joblin stole the show with a meticulously pitched and performed act about explaining the internet to her parents. A fine five minutes of comedy that would stand solid up there with any professional. Michael Smol’s suave puns and delightful subversion also rather tickled this here reviewer.

But, oh, to pick favourites seems unfair, as all seven of these spritely proto-comedians had something to give, and if they keep growing and developing there is a lot to look forward to in Wellington’s comedy future.

Sat 15 May / 3pm / San Francisco Bathhouse

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1