Coolest Salient Editor ever heading to Boston*

Editing Salient can result in further educational opportunities, surprisingly

Former Salient Editor James Robinson has been accepted into one of the best journalism schools in the world at Boston University.

If you weren’t around these parts in 2006, you probably won’t even know who James Robinson is. He was the Editor. And a fine one at that.

James is heading to the United States to commence his Masters in Journalism in August, but before then he has some extreme fundraising to do.

Still short of the “magic number” required for financial security, James is offering his services to charity in exchange for donations to his own cause.

“I have been a pretty big fan of this charity work so far. It has all been great, and I’ve met so many smart people who could probably be making a lot of money, but are choosing to make a huge difference,” he says.

James applied for seven schools, and got into five—something he’s pretty chuffed about.

“The recession has driven people back to school, and as a result of this schools were reporting 50–80 per cent increases in applications. So it makes a five from seven success rate very pleasing.”

Of course, Salient played a helpful role in James’ success.

Salient has helped me in so many ways. It helped me realise that showing up to work and doing something you love is one of the most important components of a happy life,” he says.

Salient almost overshadows my whole university experience. It was such a big part of my life so far.”

James is pretty excited about heading to Boston.

“I want to see about ten million bands—Pavement, September 18, at my university! I’ve lived in Wellington on and off for eight years, and it is time to ply my trade somewhere new—a new place, new rules, new opportunities.”

James had told Salient that we would be able to find “millions” of handsome photos of him in the Salient archives. You can see from the image accompanying this story that the search yielded no results.

If you want to donate, or see handsome photos of James, head to http://educatejames.co.nz.

*James was, without doubt, the coolest Editor of Salient ever back when I was first year.

Editor for 2010, politics nerd, panda fan and three-time award-winning student journalist.

1