May 24, 2010 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Dave Wiggans is Googling God

Dave Wiggans is an American who lives in Auckland. He’s also a Christian. Which is fine, I guess. I’m really not. And I couldn’t help but wonder going into his show Googling God how much that would affect my enjoyment. I shouldn’t really have worried. Wiggans, apart from being a very consumate showman, has done quite a good job of dealing with religion as subject without directly excluding any part of his potential audience. I say “quite a good job” because, well, his audience is still rather clearly a God-hugging one and he does pander that way a bit. Which is totally okay. How flippantly he occasionally deals the more extreme elements of religion (godhatesfags.com) isn’t so okay, though it must be stressed he comes out against such movements. This man knows his market and his sell-out season can only attest to his audiences reverence.

Wiggans is simply a funny guy. It’s real easy to enjoy the time you spend with him. I was never bored during the show. But my one major issue with the show was by its very nature, it reeked of other people’s laughs. Wiggans takes us on a tour of the internet results he found while googling God and as such, the show quickly resolves itself into him pointing out funny things he found online and occasionally forgetting to really add a joke to it. He needs to do just a little more than point his finger at other people’s funny.

Wed 12 – Sat 15 May / 8pm / BATS

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos