Eye on Exec

I would like to know why some people run for the exec. They seem less than enthusiastic about anything they do, and are woefully under-prepared at every opportunity.

While I only made it to half of the exec meeting this week, it really was just more of the same.

Things are a lot more organised, and they make a point of taking clear notes. Bless.

So some things have changed. Important things.

But some have not improved.

In the interests of disclosure, I should really say that I used to be an exec member. Not at Vic, but while I was studying at Massey Wellington.

I am not sure if that makes me more or less qualified to speak on this, but I’m still going to.

When someone is interested in a job, they should look at what is required in the position and what they will need to do.

This is especially important in a representative position that is funded by student money.

How is it then, that some people will still just show up at a meeting without having done what is required of them?

These people look even worse next to those organised and enthusiastic exec members who actually do their job.

Things need to change. If a member of the exec is not doing their job, or doesn’t like the job, or ran for the job as a joke, they should step down and allow VUWSA to find someone who can.

Another class of exec that needs to sort themselves out would be the all-for-show exec.

It is one thing to rant about things needing to change, and it is another to get involved in the hard work to actually make the change.

On a brighter note, the IGM reached quorum. You can read all about it in our IGM story.

Sadly, no mention was made of the by-election that is due to be held. Salient will pester the president to find out when it is and let you know.

And congrats to Jacob McSweeny for the snowboard win! That should totes be mine by the way. Just sayin’.

Stuff you can care about:

VUWSA is in the process of preparing the Alternative Student Guide. All 100-level papers are being reviewed. Have your say by filling a survey form, or if you don’t get one, pester your student rep.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.

1