FM, BM Nius

Ngā Kīrehu o…

Maria Williams (Tumuaki Tuarua—Mātauranga)
“I kno-w!”

Used to indicate how you know something. However, emphasis placed upon the tone can alter the meaning slightly to convey an emphatic agreement as an answer to a question. Alternatively, you can add a ‘right?’ to the end like so: “That movie was pretty oosh”, “I kno-w, right?”

Mandy Leckie (Kaitiaki Pūtea):
“Receipts!”

Popular saying and word of treasurers all over the world. Usually used as a request, generally taken as a threat. No receipt, no cry. So give your receipt then cry cos you didn’t get as much money as you wanted.

Natalie Goldsmith (Āpiha Hākinakina):
“If you don’t come to practice, you’re on the bench!”

Popular saying of coaches and team captains. Usually and generally a threat that is most often followed through. Only to be used with a voice of authority. And in times when used in a written or typed form, like an email, then use of exclamation mark is imperative to convey the voice of authority.

Lashania Fraser-Johnson (Āpiha Whakangāhau)
“Oooosh…”

Used as a term of wonder, awe and appreciation. Other variations also include ‘ooosh’, ‘oosh’ and ‘oooshness’. Not to be used sparingly.

Kia hiwa rā!

There are scholarships available for you to apply for every month! Don’t hesitate, these scholarships are waiting for you, remember YOU DESERVE IT!

Here are some Scholarships with MAY Closings. Come on koutou…give it a go!

Tumau
Open to full-time Māori and Pacific Island Students. Preference given to Postgraduate or 1st/2nd year students. Up to $2000 each.

Closing: Thursday 20 May 2010

AMP Scholarship
The AMP Scholarship Programme rewards those with the courage, passion, determination and commitment to achieve their chosen goal no matter what obstacles lie in their path. There is no limit on qualifying activities or goals, and there’s no age limit. We think it takes attitude to achieve goals at any age. The only criteria is that you must be either a New Zealand citizen or resident. Up to $10,000, tenure one year.

Closing: Monday 31 May 2010

SROW Elsie Locke Award
An award offered to a woman or group of women researching or writing (fiction or non–fiction) in an area of Elsie Locke’s concerns: Social Justice, Māori, Peace, Women’s Health, New Zealand History or the Environment. In assessing applications the panel will consider: The contribution the project will make to the advancement of any one or more of the listed issues and its benefit to women. ONE award biennially in even years of $4000.

Closing: Monday 31 May 2010

For more information go to the Ngāi Tauira website www.ngaitauira.org.nz

1