Geoghegan Gagging To Get Out The Broom

OUSA changing it up

The Otago University Student’s Association (OUSA) President wants to scrap almost all OUSA policy and start over.

At the OUSA Student General Meeting (SGM) President Harriet Geoghegan intends to move a motion relevant to OUSA external policy.

“I am going to move a motion to rescind all previous motions and replace them with those that are still relevant and in relation to the core business of OUSA.

“There are a huge amount that are ridiculous, outdated, no longer an issue, or not of direct concern to University of Otago students. These motions are a direct cause of criticism to OUSA.

“Many motions that have been passed at previous OUSA SGMs are clearly meant for the amusement or edification of those moving them, rather than being truly representative of the views of most students.”

At the SGM, Geoghegan will also move a motion “to enable SGMs to be held online so that more students can participate in the process, rather than have a village-style vote in the main common room”.

VUWSA does not currently have any plans to follow suit.

The current format of SGMs has long been a bone of contention within all students’ associations, with meetings sometimes failing to reach the required quorum of 1 per cent of members.

Poor turnouts have also meant that groups have also been able to ‘pack’ meetings and push through motions to their benefit. The rowing club notoriously managed to gain huge amounts of OUSA cash for their facilities by doing this.